Advanced analytics. Intelligent insights.
IXICO is a fast growing and profitable medical data analytics company, providing data management and advanced analytics to the pharmaceutical clinical trials market. Established in 2004 and listed as a public company in 2013, IXICO has firmly established itself as a trusted partner to the global pharmaceutical industry, developing new therapies for neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s disease.
Our purpose is to advance medicine and human health by turning data into clinically meaningful information, providing valuable new insights in neuroscience and our goal is to be a leading proponent of artificial intelligence in medical image analysis. We will achieve this by developing and deploying breakthrough data analytics, at scale, through our remote access technology platform, to improve the return on investment in drug development and reduce risk and uncertainty in clinical trials for our pharmaceutical clients.
We are guided by our “4A” values:
These are at the heart of our culture and empower our people to contribute to our mission of improving patient outcomes. We recognise that we will only succeed in realising our purpose and achieve our business goals by bringing together the essential human skills needed to innovate and continuously enhance our cutting-edge technologies in support of our customers’ endeavours.
To help us deliver our medical image analysis solutions to large clinical trials we are hiring an experienced Biomarker Scientist in a full-time capacity.
Purpose of the Role:
The post holder takes responsibility for clinical science aspects across IXICO therapeutic areas (TAs) and operational scientific support throughout studies in line with a defined area of clinical or technical expertise. The role involves a lead role in defining the scope of work in new proposals incorporating imaging and / or wearables technology, in close collaboration with business development and other business functions. The Biomarker Scientist engages externally with existing and potential new clients and collaborators from industry and academia, relevant consortia and key opinion leaders. Working with external study teams and colleagues from IXICO, the post holder designs and runs new projects, to support the development and validation of novel data analysis algorithms and endpoints for clinical neuroscience trials. The post holder is responsible for oversight of clinical and / or imaging / wearables aspects during study set-up and execution in line with regulatory requirements. A further key function is to provide clinical scientific expertise in the domains of wearables and imaging, helping internal project teams to effectively deliver on contracts. The post holder additionally leads on dissemination of clinical science activities through scientific papers, conference attendance and via other channels of communication.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop clinical science expertise for relevant imaging and wearables measures in IXICO’s existing and potential new TAs
- Maintain knowledge of relevant literature in assigned biomarkers and TAs to advise product roadmap planning and marketing strategies
- Designing and running new collaborative and IXICO’s own pilot projects, to support the development and validation of novel data analysis algorithms and study / clinical trial endpoints, including overseeing clinical aspects of study set-up and execution
- Keeping up-to-date on relevant scientific and regulatory developments and disseminating important points internally
- Support business development activities to win new business from current and prospective clients running commercial clinical trials. This includes:
- Actively developing relationships with potential new customers (meetings at conferences, calls, workshops, etc.)
- Scientific input / co-authoring proposals, statements of work, etc.
- Scientific lead for face-to-face bid defences
- Attendance at pre-sales customer meetings to support
- Early discussions / guidance on incorporating imaging and wearables into clinical trials or academic clinical research projects (data acquisition and collection, endpoint selection, length and spacing of data collection periods, subject preparation, study design, maximising data quality etc.)
- Bid defences with commercial clients; proposal and collaboration discussions with academic researchers
- Consultancy for and feedback on study protocols (where required)
- Interpreting clinical trial protocols and other customer requirement documentation, to define project-specific specifications and configurations for IXICO’s products and services
- Ensuring clinical scientific leadership of active projects, including:
- Attendance and/or input as required at project meetings with Sponsor, Investigator and third Parties to provide updates for troubleshooting purposes, etc.
- Providing clinical science input to reviews of study documentation (incl. training materials, subject information, analysis SOPs)
- Lead on study reports (interim and final)
- Lead on defining scientific aspects of data collection during study start-up (imaging and / or wearables) according to area of expertise
- Provide expertise for the set-up and parametrisation of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) pulse sequences or Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans on clinical trials.
- Develop and hand over associated SOP’s and WI’s to Operations
- assure scientific integrity during study operations through regular quality controls of analysis results as part of science review process
- Provide science leadership on imaging and wearables charters
- Working with other IXICO teams to grow and maintain IXICO’s position as advancing the scientific and regulatory agendas (e.g. setting new data standards, qualifying methods, validating new outcomes measures)
- Supporting marketing strategies to promote IXICO’s services and product in the target market and encourage future collaborations through, e.g., scientific presentations at conferences and other meetings, pro-active engagement with research groups and consortia, delivery of educational / promotional webinars, development of marketing material (website and other channels).
Responsibility for individual TA’s and data modalities are defined for the wider science team based on job holder’s expertise and in order to address project needs and IXICO strategy.
Qualifications and skills required for the role:
- Post-graduate Qualification with a PhD or equivalent research experience in a relevant area
- Background in neuroscience, imaging, computer science, MRI/PET physics, or a related discipline
- Prior experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Relevant work experience in a regulated clinical trial environment in CNS diseases
- Clinical expertise in a neurodegenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis.
- Technical expertise in MRI / PET acquisition, ideally paired with hands-on experience in configuring and operating scanners
- An active interest to grow understanding of relevant areas of clinical and technical expertise
- An understanding of the underlying biology/pathology and relevant biomarkers in relevant disease areas
- An understanding of clinical trials and the associated regulatory landscape in relevant disease areas
- Theoretical scientific expertise and practical experience in at least one of: MR Imaging, PET Imaging, wearable biosensors
- Good research skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong innovative and conceptual thinking
- An interest in developing and translating cutting edge scientific knowledge into real-world trial applications for customers in the pharmaceutical industry
- Manages own time and prioritises requests
- Team player in cross-functional team
- Willing to travel internationally for conferences and customer meetings
- Competitive remuneration package
- Generous employer pension contribution
- 25 days annual leave, increasing up to 28 days with every year at IXICO
- Annual salary review
- Life Assurance scheme
- Various discounts in retail, food & drink and entertainment through our benefit portal
- A company in an industry where your work has an impact every single day
How to Apply
IXICO is working hard to create a representative, inclusive and empowered team, because we believe different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make a better workplace, and ultimately better services.
IXICO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.
This is a great opportunity for a strong and experienced Biomarker Scientist to thrive in an engaging and fast-paced environment, to make a difference on an every day basis.
If you think IXICO should meet you, please send us your CV and covering letter by email to email@example.com. We are looking forward to your application. Please note that due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation our entire business is operating remotely. If you have got any questions about this please reach out to our careers team.