One business, one mission: improving brain health through the application of digital technologies.
Established in 2004 and listed as a public company in October 2013, IXICO has established itself as a trusted partner to the global biopharma industry, providing technology-enabled speciality services. Our neuroscience expertise in image data management and analysis provides specialist data analytics services used by the global Pharmaceutical industry to select patients for clinical trials, assess the safety and efficacy of new drugs in development. Our neurological disease focus includes Alzheimer's disease, Huntington's disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's.
As the pharmaceutical industry looks to pave the way for personalised medicines, they will need to mine clinical trial and real-world data to tailor specific products to the individual patient. IXICO is uniquely positioned to deliver these approaches by further innovating, customising and scaling our integrated digital platform.
And our people make all this happen. We have a passionate, dedicated team, bringing together the essential skills needed to innovate and develop cutting-edge technologies, provide the support our customers need and enhance our service offering.
About the Role
The IT Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for providing the expertise and skills required to support, maintain and improve the company’s internal infrastructure to ensure it’s reliable, secure and continues to meet the company’s needs. Working with external vendors and internal resources, the IT Senior Systems Engineer will ensure that IT systems and services meeting the company’s quality standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders in both person and remotely via phone, e-mail etc.
- Lead Capacity Management and related planning activities across all IT infrastructure areas including Cloud.
- Provide Systems Architecture services as required.
- Liaise with external suppliers for the provision of IT services/products.
- Maintain the operations of the company’s servers, desktops/laptops, networking infrastructure and communications platform.
- Ensure high availability of relevant systems (including Linux Ubuntu, Centos, Microsoft servers and desktops/laptops) and new server builds/configuration.
- Provide service to support compliance with relevant standards, benchmarks and policies for IT security and reliability and strive for continual improvement in areas such as anti-virus, vulnerability assessments etc.
- Update user/systems/applications accounts and access levels, per policy and requested tickets.
- Proactively identify and flag potential risks and weaknesses of IT systems and manage delivery of solutions.
- Support the departments and wider business through the provision of an agile and flexible IT infrastructure.
- Support Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity planning, testing (including desk testing) and updating.
- Actively contribute to IT team meetings.
- Participate in the on-call weekly roster.
Skills required for the role:
- Educated to degree level (B. Sc. In Computer Science or equivalent at 2.1 Honours level).
- Detailed knowledge and proven commercial experience of Linux (Ubuntu, Centos) and Microsoft environments.
- Experience of automated server builds and configuration (Kickstart).
- Excellent knowledge of storage environments and configuration (ZFS/RAID/iSCSI).
- Practical experience of Virtualisation technologies including KVM, Hyper-V, Docker.
- Expertise of scripting languages including Python and Bash.
- Knowledge of automation including Puppet and Ansible.
- Experience with monitoring preferably using Nagios and Grafana.
- Competent with Networking and Firewalls.
- Experience of web hosting Java applications such Tomcat and Apache.
- Knowledge of IT Security including anti-virus software and carrying out vulnerability assessments etc.
- Ability to manage Active Directory/LDAP.
- Knowledge of Backup solutions (Bacula) and their management.
- Basic knowledge of telephony systems (IP PBX).
- Understanding of cloud platforms (AWS, Azure etc.)
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the business.
- Strong organisational skills and great attention for detail.
- Ability to prioritise effectively.
- Strong team-player, who is acting in a professional and personable manner.
- Highly motivated and driven to improve and develop processes.
Desirable Knowledge and Experience:
- Up to date certifications in Unix and Microsoft areas
- Knowledge of Relational Databases
- Generous employers pension contribution of 6%
- Company-wide annual salary review and company bonus scheme
- 25 days annual leave, increasing up to 28 days with every year at IXICO, plus bank holidays
- Lifa Assurance scheme of four times the annual salary
- Various discounts in retail, food & drink and entertainment through our benefit portal
- A supportive and highly motivated team
- An excellent location in the heart of the City of London
How to Apply
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Systems Engineer to thrive in an engaging and fast-paced environment, to make a difference and to broaden the personal and professional horizon on an every day basis. We pride ourselves to be a sociable and diverse bunch of people, who are all working together on one big mission: Improving brain health. Will you join us?
If you are interested in joining IXICO as an IT Senior Systems Engineer please send us your CV and covering letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking forward to your application!
IXICO is working hard to create a representative, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we believe different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make a better workplace, and ultimately better services.
IXICO doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected class.